Historic Walker Gold Mine and Camp Overview
20 Acre Lode Claim – Tidal Wave District – Maidson County, Montana
Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. is proud to present the Historic Walker Gold Mining Claim. This is a 20 acre lode mining claim for sale exclusively through Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. The claim is located just outside of Twin Bridges, Montana and has been properly staked and marked at all corners. All Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. claims have been meticulously surveyed, mapped and researched. Field work is completed by our own experienced, well versed Mine Survey Team.
This claim is located up an easy high clearance 2WD road. The views from the claim are of the valley of Twin Bridges below. The Claim consists of one shaft that appears to have been a double compartment shaft. There is also an adit that is most likely connected to the shaft above it. The claim has been historically mined for gold. This claim is historically called the Walker according to MRDS. . The entire area around the walker has been mined for gold with a large patent claim just north of the Walker. The large patent near the walker is referred to as the Corncracker and may help in the research of the area.
History of the Mines
This mine resides in the Dry and Wet Georgia Gulches Sub-district.
The two gulches in this district are located four and five miles due east of Twin Bridges. The gulches were the scene of the first mining in the Tidal Wave district. The Tidal Wave mine, on the ridge between Dry Georgia and Goodrich gulches, was first located in the 1860s. The Highridge (or High Ridge) mine on the southwest side of the mountains between Dry and Wet Georgia gulches was active in the 1880s and was a steady producer from the 1890s to 1910s. In the Buckeye group in Dry Georgia Gulch gold ore occurs in gneiss just below its contact with limestone. Other mines in the sub-district active around 1914 include the Democrat, the Empire and Bay State, Keynote, Ella and Argenta. The most important producers in the Dry Georgia Gulch from 1900 to 1920 include the High Ridge, the Sunflower, and the Corncracker. In Wet Georgia Gulch the most important mines in the first two decades of the Twentieth century include the Ella, Dullea, Lone Star and Argenta. The High Ridge was once again prominent in the 1930s.
|Access to the Mine||You can drive to the mine entrance shaft MTMAD_10528. The road to the other mine entrances has been closed but with an approved plan of operations you could reopen the road and drive directly to the other mine entrances.|
|Tailings Present||10,000-49,999 tons. The tailings appear to be mostly waste rock. The tailings piles are not huge which indicates most of the good ore was taken off site for processing.|
|Entrance||The mine entrances MTMAD_10528 and MTMAD_10524 were timbered at one time but have since collapsed.|
|Mine Cut||Adits, shafts and prospects.|
|Depth / Length||2000′ est.|
|Minerals in the Mine||Historically the claim was worked for gold. Would anticipate finding gold ore inside the mines.|
|Foot Traffic in the Mine||None|
These mines are a series of adits, shafts and prospects that may interconnect on lower levels. The views of the valley below are beautiful.
Aerial view of claim and boundaries.
|Number of Mines||3 shafts, 1 adit, and 2 prospects.|
|Nearest city with amenities||Twin Bridges, Montana approximately 8 miles away|
|Access to the Claim||This claim is accessed via an easy 2WD high clearance road. Surveyors had no issues getting a full size truck to the claim site.|
|Parking and Staging on the claim||Parking and staging is limited on the claim site. Near the mine you can park 1-2 vehicles. About 10 feet off the claim is a large open meadow on top of a hill that would accommodate 10-15 vehicles.|
|Resources||Water in gulch|
|Structures on claim||Remains of a headframe. Appears to be a double compartment shaft.|
|Relics on the claim||Random metal remains. Water pipe from the shaft.|
High grade ores around the claim.
Quartz in the host rock.
Old machinery on the claim.
Old machines and a building collapsed into a shaft.
Old mine hardware from local shops.
Headframe and old tipple on the claim.
Remains of the headframe.
A good bit of shade and cover on the claim.
Inside the old workings.
View of the mine interior.
Working farther back into the mine.
Gold on the claim.
A somewhat collapsed adit to dig out.
A shaft on the claim.
Another collapsed adit to dig out.
Overlooking the valley below the mine.
Workings on the claim.
Easy access and parking on the claim.
Collapsed old miners buildings.
Headframe and tipple over a gulch.
Drive up access to the workings.
No idea where this came from.
Looking down towards Twin Bridges.
Remains of the old door on the portal.
Collapsed old mine entrance.
Prospect on the claim
Old shaft on the claim
Overview of the claim area.
2000-2599 feet of workings estimated. This assessment based on what surveyors observed while on site.
Accessibility and Location
2WD vehicle can get to claim
Free milling gold, gold nuggets or gems
Weather data from nearby city – Twin Bridges, Montana
USGS information on the mine(s)
Disclaimer: This MRDS information is provided for reference only and does not represent the actual mine or the current state or mineral content or value. It should not be perceived as accurate or definitive. MRDS information should not be relied on as decision data, the MRDS system has not been updated in over 20 years. The US Bureau of Mines, who was responsible for mining site assessment was disbanded in 1994. USGS and MRDS information has not been updated in over 66 years.
Economic information about the deposit and operations
- Gold – Primary
- Silver – Primary
- Copper – Primary
- Lead – Primary
- Zinc – Primary
Host and associated rocks
|Host or associated||Host|
|Rock type||Metamorphic Rock > Gneiss|
Nearby scientific data
|(1)||Tertiary sedimentary rocks, undifferentiated|
USGS Database – 10091650
Mining District Overview
Tidal Wave District Information
The Tidal Wave district is located on the northwestern slopes of the Tobacco Root range and was initially prospected as early as 1864, yet not developed for many years. The district was named after the first patented mine which was located on the ridge north of Dry Georgia Gulch. Initial activity concentrated on the rich float and high-grade outcroppings where gold was naturally concentrated. Production was very small; chunks of ore were hand-mortared and panned. Larger amounts were hauled to an arrastra for reduction. Some small-scale placers were also tried in Goodrich Gulch above the forks in the creek.
Because unweathered ore did not contain free gold, many of the mines were considered of little value. Howver, on some of the claims when the weathered surface ores ran out the mines were extended deeper. Mining declined in the district throughout the 1870s and 1880s. However, after the success of the mines of Argenta and later Hecla in the 1870s, interest began turning to argentiferous lead ores.
The new milling techniques and new local railroad connections brought renewed interest in the area. In the middle 1880s, large veins of argentiferous galena were opened between Ramshorn and Georgia Gulches. In 1880, William Owsley worked several lead properties at the junction of Little Bear and Bear Gulches and erected a small smelter to extract the lead and gold from his mines’ ore. These mines were successfully worked on a small scale by their owners or lessees as late as 1914. Later, properties on Smelter Mountain of Bear Gulch were acquired by the Tobacco Root Mining, Milling and Smelting Company and claims at the head of Bear Gulch were operated by Bielenberg and Higgins. Bielenberg and Higgins utilized arrastras, stamp mills and cyanide plants to work their ore. The Prichett mine concentrated its ore in a small 5-stamp mill and a small cyanide plant at the mouth of Little Bear Creek. It was run for six months in 1909.
Available production records for the district date back only to 1904. The production prior to 1904 probably equaled if not exceeded the production until 1935. From 1904 to 1930 production equaled $361,218 in gold, 133,390 ounces of silver, 141, 969 pounds of copper, 2,263,730 pounds of lead, and 21,887 pounds of zinc, valued in all at $618,689. By 1944 the district’s total production had increased to 51,088 tons of ore worth $1,210,000.
The increase in gold prices during the Great Depression once again brought interest in the district with leasing being the preferred route of mine operation. The High Ridge, Bryzant, Richmond Group, Carolina, and Crystal Lake were active during this period. After the closure of gold mines during World War II, the district has seen only sporadic activity.
The geology in the Twin Bridges area is more complex than any other region in the Tobacco Root area. The oldest rocks of the region are gneisses and schists of the Pony series (pre-Beltian), which are overlain by extensive areas of Paleozoic quartzites, limestones, and shales. All are cut by irregular stocks of granitic rock, outliers of the Tobacco Root batholith that underlies extensive areas to the east of the district. The sedimentary and metamorphic rocks are complexly folded and the structure is further complicated by strong faulting.
Ores in the district occur in three types. Around Bear Gulch granitic intrusives came in contact with limestone and produced typical contact deposits containing copper and lead with gold and silver values. At the head of Bear Gulch and to some extent in the rest of the district, vein deposits in gneiss or schist are closely associated with granitic magma intrusions. The veins carry gold with some lead, silver and copper. The third type of ore is found in Dry and Wet Georgia Creeks and Goodrich Gulch. These vein deposits in gneiss or schists are associated with igneous intrusions not associated with granitic magma and are of an earlier age.
|District Aliases||Twin Bridges, Dry Boulder Creek, Bear Gulch, Goodrich Gulch, Dry and Wet Georgia Gulches|
|Noted Commodities||Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead, Zinc|