Brown Bull Mineral Property
A gold Rush Expeditions Inc. Mining claim Property
Federally Registered Mining Claim ID : IMC213970, IMC214620
40 Acre Lode Claim – Gilmore Mining District – Lemhi, Idaho
Inventory Reduction Sale Price:$2,500.00
(Price Valid Until 9/28/2018)
The Brown Bull Mine has also is a relatively unknown, but larger property located in the upper reaches of the historic Gilmore mining district. There are two claims that cover the Brown Bull Mines and general trend of the lodes. The Hardscrabble mine is also a part of this group and has
There are a reported 3 adits on the property and multiple prospects. Two main structures, a large cabin with shipping platforms and a smaller cabin near the portals of the mines.
The mine is reported for production of substantial lead silver and copper, although the Hardscrabble, which is on the property has reported gold production of over 1000 ounces. Likely that the two mines figures are similar.
From USGS Descriptions:
The Brown Bull mine, located on the divide between Deer Creek and the middle branch of Texas Gulch, was examined by the USBM in conjunction with the investigation of the mineral resources of the Lemhi Range study area (Cather and Rains, 1988). Cather and Rains (1988, p. 36) reported that the mine was prospected in the 1880’s; production, not recorded until 1912, continued intermittently until 1949. Between 1916 and 1949, the mine yielded 180 tons of ore that contained minor gold, 14,800 ounces of silver, 3,570 pounds of copper, and 115,000 pounds of lead. Workings including a shaft, two open and five caved adits, about 20 trenches and pits, and connecting roads and trails, have been excavated over a 2,000-foot-long, 1,000-foot-wide area. The longest adit, now caved, was 575 feet long. The open adits are 105 and 70 feet long. In 1986, the mine was covered by three mining claims.
From USGS Files:
Brown Bull Production: 115,000 lbs Pb, 14,800 oz Ag, and 3,570 lbs Cu
From 1998 IBMG Reports, the workings are reported as including a shaft, two open and five caved adits, about 20 trenches and pits, and connecting roads and trails, have been excavated over a 2,000-foot-long, 1,000-foot-wide area. The longest adit, now caved, was 575 feet long. The open adits are 105 and 70 feet long.
This claim is part of the inventory reduction sale, valid only until September 28th, 2018. These properties are discounted because they do not have a full GRMP-43 reporting. They may not have had an entire on the ground survey completed and/or have not been fully documented.
If these properties do not sale during the inventory reduction sale, they will be taken off the market and Gold Rush Expeditions will complete the GRMP-43’s and resurvey of the properties. The properties will then be offered at another date at a substantially higher price,
|Mine Quick Facts|
|Access||Technical 4WD access to claim|
|Nearest City with Ammenities||70 miles to Salmon Idaho|
|Commodities||Gold, Lead, Lead, Zinc, Silver|
|Total Workings||USGS Reported 900′|
|Resources||Timber, seasonal water, run off, functional cabins|
|Tailings||None. No mill on site|
|Waste Dump||3 dumps estimated 100k tons|
|Mine Development||3 adits. One blasted at entrance, needs clearing|
Many of the claims in the Texas district (Figure 4) were located in the early 1880s in response to the discovery of ore in the Spring Mountain district to the south in 1880 and at the Viola Mine on the opposite side of Lemhi Valley in 1881 (Umpleby, 1913; Ruppel and Lopez, 1988). A 30-ton smelter was installed in the Spring Mountain district in 1882 at a cost of $135,000. The smelter made a three-day test run late in 1882 but never operated successfully (Wells, 1983). A smelter was blown in at Nicholia in 1886 and processed ore shipments from the Texas district that year. However, the Viola ores were exhausted by 1887, and the smelter closed in 1889 (Ruppel and Lopez, 1988). The district was 85 miles from the nearest railroad, making transportation costs almost prohibitive. Little further work was done until the five most productive claims (which would become the core of the Pittsburgh-Idaho mine) were purchased by an eastern investor in 1902.
Ore produced in 1903 was hauled to the railroad at Dubois using trains of four wagons each. The trains were pulled by ten to sixteen horses, and the average load was about a ton per horse (Ruppel and Lopez, 1988). The IMIR for the year noted that a number of properties in the region had “good shipping records,” but that none of them were developed below the oxidized zone.
The 1904 IMIR gave this history (p. 101-102):
During the period of the Viola’s active production, the Texas-Spring Mountain Districts, covering fifteen miles of the slopes of a lofty range of mountains, that form the opposite side of the broad Birch Creek Valley from Nicholia, were discovered, and a hundred promising claims were located, and probably two dozen of them made shipments ranging from a wagon load to several carloads of high-grade lead-silver, silver-lead and rich dry silver ore.
These prospects were pecked at for several years, but no serious amount of intelligent development work was done on any of them, and with the sudden exhaustion of the Viola, and the low price of lead under the Cleveland administration, interest in this district waned, and a majority of the claims were abandoned.
Most of the ore shipped from the district must have been carefully hand-picked to make certain little waste and as much high grade ore as possible went into the wagons (Ruppel and Lopez, 1988). The 1904 IMIR stated (p. 106-107):
The camp of Gilmore is situated in a prettily timbered horseshoe-shaped cove, near the foot of the main mountain uplift that towers to elevations of 10,000 to 11,000 feet above sea level behind it to the southwest These mountains are built up of deeply fractured and faulted masses of quartzite, limestone, dolomite and eruptives, and in spite of their lofty elevations and deep snows, aside from occasional small springs, carry no flowing surface creek, but form a desert range of the Great Basin type for forty miles to the southeast, where they suddenly terminate as low “hog-backs,” in the Snake River desert. This structural peculiarity would indicate that the desirable oxidized condition of the ores of this district will be maintained to very considerable depth.
A postoffice has been established at Gilmore, and quite an array of substantial buildings erected, including a well-stocked general store. Water has been brought in from a nearby spring gulch; several other properties are being developed in the near vicinity that give the place quite an appearance of thrift and permanency, which, together with its accessibility and grand surroundings of mountain and valley landscapes, forms a healthy and desirable place to live.
There are quite a number of small development operations in progress at the present time, along the range east and west of Gilmore, and during the past year, ore shipments of from one to four cars were made from half a dozen different properties.
The IMIR noted that the cost of hauling ore to Dubois was $10 a ton. The route was “a smooth, hard desert road, with a very gradual fall all the way from the mine to the railway” (1905 IMIR, p. 91). Wagon haulage to Dubois was used during the open season for four years. However, the road was so destructive that it was almost impossible to keep the wagons in operating condition (Umpleby, 1913).
In 1906, a new system of hauling ore to Dubois was attempted (1906 IMIR, p.
During the past summer a separate corporation was formed to handle the ore to Dubois. This is known as the Dubois and Salmon Transportation Company. It has put a “Best” California traction train on the road consisting of a traction engine of one hundred ten H. P. and four steel wagons of fifteen tons capacity each [Figures 7 and 8). The road between the mine and the railroad, with a little bridging across the creeks and irrigating ditches, is an ideal one for this service. The engine was put to a very severe test and made to ford these streams without bridging. It completed four round trips between the mine and the railroad before winter closed in, in four days running time to the trip, pulling a forty ton load. The train travels night and day, using a large acetalyne head light. It requires a crew of three men on each shift, the off shift sleeping in a sheep wagon trailed behind the ore cars.
The road followed is a flat valley bottom and desert plain presenting an old lake bed surface of fine gravelly and gritty soil and sage brush. There is one hill putting into the mine from the valley three-fourths of a mile long with an average grade of eight to ten per cent. The engine climbs this with a train of empties without difficulty when the ground is dry, but unfortunately, this grade was laid out on the shady north slope of the gulch in which the mine is situated and became too slippery for the traction bars to get a hold with the advent of the first snow in the fall.
The engine used, under present conditions, about four tons of coal a day, which is distributed in bins along the route at convenient intervals on the back trip, and finds watering stations at intervals of not over fifteen miles, its tank capacity being good for that distance.
Some strong bridges are being constructed across the creeks, and with these improvements on the present road it is believed by the management that the cost of hauling the ore with this traction train can be reduced to five dollars per ton and still show a handsome margin of profit.
However, the performance of this system during the following year did not meet the initial optimistic predictions. According to the 1907 IMIR (p. 128-129):
The traction engine haulage enterprise inaugurated by this company in 1906, after getting the road well bridged and otherwise improved at considerable cost, proved a failure, and its use was discontinued during the summer. The engine, which is of the “Best” company’s make, and of 110 H. P., was very successfully handled, and traveled 2,000 miles during the season, back and forth, between the mine and the railroad.
The chief weakness developed in the train was the constant breaking of the axles under the ore wagons. These wagons were all steel, with 4-inch steel axles, and had a capacity of 15 tons of ore each. There were 4 of them in the train and they were loaded with 10 tons each. The constant jar of the load seemed to crystallize the steel in the axles, and they would repeatedly break off at the shank and let down the load.
There were no extra wagons, and the train became so badly crippled towards the close of the summer, and involved the loss of so much time to the crew and cost in repairs that this method of hauling had to be abandoned.
All told, the traction engine made only a dozen trips to Dubois before it was abandoned (Umpleby, 1913).
Plans were already under way to build a railroad into the area. In 1906 (p. 101), the Idaho Mine Inspector reported that a company had been formed to build a branch line “through a very easy pass in the main divide” to connect with the Oregon Short Line at Armstead, Montana (near Dillon). By the end of 1909, the Gilmore and Pittsburgh Railroad Company had laid rails from Armstead over the Continental Divide at Bannock Pass and into Idaho. Also in 1909, a 50 ton-per-day (tpd) smelter was built at Hahn. Several of the smaller mine in the district sent minor amounts of ore there to be processed (Umpleby, 1913).
By January 1910, the railroad reached Leadore, a new town near Junction, on the Lemhi River. (The torturous switch-back route from Leadore up Railroad Canyon to Bannock Pass was responsible for the local nickname of this railroad, the Get Out and Push (Ruppel and Lopez, 1988).) A southern branch of the railroad reached Gilmore in September, and the main line north to Salmon was also completed by the end of the year.
The 1911 IMIR described the town of Gilmore, founded in 1903, as follows
Gilmore & Pittsburgh Railway terminates at the foot of the mountain on the west border of the Lemhi Valley, where the new townsite of Gilmore has been established and laid out on modern lines. It already has a water supply system and a dozen substantial business houses, and numerous residences with a population of several hundred people, and a daily train service. It is desirably situated within a mile of the main producing mines, and an extensive tributary mineral district to the north, south and east and seems destined to become quite an important mining center within a few years.
The next few years were the high point of activity in the district, with ore shipments declining after 1920. (See Table 1 for total production from the major mines in the district.) Regular train service to Gilmore was discontinued in 1935, and the last train out was filled with departing residents. The Gilmore and Pittsburgh Railroad discontinued service to the Lemhi Valley in 1939, and the track was salvaged for scrap in 1940. The Gilmore Mercantile Co. (owner of the Martha Mine) retained a local manager in Gilmore ( the last resident of the mining camp) until 1965 (Ruppel and Lopez, 1988).
According to Rupple and Lopez (1988, p. 107), the mine explores two quartz veins that trend east and dip 60-80 N in granitic rock near quartzite. The veins, 1 to 6 inches thick, are heavily limonite and manganese-stained and are enclosed in fractured and hydrothermally altered granodiorite.
The veins probably contain shoots of galena and cerussite (Cather and Rains, 1988, p. 36).
Samples and Assays:
Eleven samples were taken during the USBM examination (Cather and Rains, 1988, p. 37). They assayed as much as 0.122 ounce gold per ton, 9.33 ounce silver per ton, 6.25 percent lead, 8.86 percent zinc, and 0.42 percent copper.
All properties that are part of the Inventory Reduction sale will be sold for $2,500.00 (Two thousand five hundred dollars and no cents) plus $349.00 (Thre hundred forty-nine dollars and no cents)(per claim) documentation fees, regardless of previous valuations.
Properties have had annual assessments paid for the 2019 year and no assessments are due until the 2020 assessment year.
A deposit of $1,000.00 (One thousand dollars and no cents) may be paid via credit card to hold the property for up to 7 (seven) days. Buyer may also make depsoit via check, cash or wire transfer. Property will not be considered sold until payment has been received in full.
With $1,000.00 (One thousand dollars and no cents) deposit, an invoice for the remaining balance due will be sent via email. The remaining balance will be due within 7 days from deposit being made. The remaining balance due may be paid via wire transfer, cash, check or cashiers check. Credit cards will only be accepted for the initial deposit.
If remaining balance is not received within 7 days, deposit will be considered forfeit. There are no refunds.
Once full payment has been received, a quit claim deed transfering the claims from Gold Rush Expeditions to the new owner will be completed, recorded and filed as required by law. Upon return of the recorded documents, Gold Rush Expeditions will send the new owner copies of recorded files.