or call us at (385) 218-2138
Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. is proud to present the Historic Carmelita Mines and Mill Property. The Carmelita Mines encompasses 80 acres of defined and historical workings. The Carmelita Mining Property is for sale exclusively through Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. The Carmelita Mines are located not far outside of Phoenix, Arizona. The Carmelita Mines have been properly staked and marked at all corners.
All Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. claims are meticulously surveyed, mapped and researched. On site field work is completed by Corey Shuman and Jessica Shuman, nationally recognized Mineral Surveyors with over 36 years of combined experience.
The Carmelita Mines and Mill consist of two (2) large camps in the remote low hills of Arizona. The Carmelita claims encompass a large number of older mines including the Alaskan and others.
The property was originally known as the Yuma Mine. The mines are evidenced to have been worked in or around 1840 by Spanish miners. As the Spanish and Mexican miners were pushed south, the mine was taken over and renamed as the Harqua Hala Mine. It was worked and expanded for primarily gold but with substantial returns in silver.
Sometime around 1860, it was purchased by Mr. John G. Campbell, A prominent businessman, Congressional Delegate and Gold Mine developer. He renamed the mine the Carmelita mine in honor of his then wife. Mr. Campbell found a new mistress sometime in the 1870s and as part of a bitter separation and divorce, Mrs. Carmelita Campbell took ownership of the couple’s home, ranch land and the Carmelita Mine. She held the property for over 40 years. Employing a small number of Mexican miners who would break gold from the quartz ledges and then load up mules to transport the ore to Mrs. Campbell’s ranch. Here is was crushed and processed using arrastras. This operation supported Mrs. Campbell and a crew of over 250 Indians who worked on the ranch and in the mines.
In 1914, J. A. Marr acquired a portion of interest in the mine under undisclosed circumstances. He immediately began promoting and starting development of the property into a major mining operation. By 1917 he had acquired funding and was moving forth with development including the construction of a mill on site. The mine showed consistent assays of at least 2.0 ounce of gold per ton. Some assays including silver were as high as $487 per ton. An incredible amount considering Gold was $20 an ounce and Silver was less than $2 per ounce at the time.
One of the most interesting items found at the site was the stamped concrete foundation at the mill with the mine name and the year 1918. The mine was worked for gold, copper, and silver historically.
This should be considered a large mining property for the location and the potential of the area. The mines are defined and begin to explore the veins and deposits but are still in an infant state. This mine would be best operated by a small to medium sized mining operation with the ability to expand and sample the current workings.
Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc recommends a mining company with at least $1.o Million in development budget to make initial development happen. Permits and Notices will be required for any profitable working of the Carmelita Mines.
The Carmelita Mines were named after Carmelita Campbell, who was formerly married to a politician by the name of John C Campbell. Due to his affair with another woman, Carmelita sued him for their house as part of her Alimony. She then went on to prospect for mines, where she found this claim in 1879. She worked her mines with much determination. During a flood in 1895, the waters rushed through the property, washing away equipment and leaving workers to climb up trees for survival. After the waters subsided she said, “I am not discouraged, as the mines are looking well…” She worked the mines until the end, when she was forced off her claim, while trying to put her in a Pheonix insane asylum. She fought it, but they still ended up taking her to Los Angeles where she spent her final days.
From a 1940 report,
This is the famous Carmelita, Gold Mine, located about 75 years ago, owned or controlled by Carmelita Campbell, A Chilian woman who married John Campbell the first Congressman from Arizona, and who held the controlling interest until 1917, at which the present owners acquired control of the property. Valve of ore shipped no obtainable.
Granite and porphyry contacts. The granite of the gneiss or decomposed granite – quartz veins, carrying good values in gold and silver. Both oxides and sulphides. We have a ledge of cherry white quartz located for 7500 feet – this is crossed by many other veins with a Main Vein of prominent out-cropping. The Main Vein is a true fissure vein.
One Engineer of wide experience made the statement to me “that there was ore enough in sight to run a 25 ton mill for 10 years more”, and this he stated was a conservative estimate. Approximately 75 tons on dump – no tailings.
A double compartment shaft – down 250 feet – bad timbers below 100 foot level and water. 68 foot shaft at cavin – in ore – with approximately 9 feet of water. Main Vein is opened up by cuts and shallow shafts – 20 to 30 feet deep.
First the property is exceedingly valuable, and second it is owned by trustworthy and reliable people, and with 44 years experience in mining, milling and examining property, I can truthfull say this is one of the very best properties, it has been my pleasure to examine.
A 1939 assay indicated 1.98 oz. per ton of gold with a then value of $69.30 and 4 oz per ton of silver with a then value of $2.80.
From a 1967 report,
The Alaskan mine, was an original part of the Carmelita Mines. Found on the plain south of Harquahala Mountain, in northeastern Yuma County, is accessible by 8 miles of a road that branches eastward from the Salome-Hassayampa road at a point 13 miles from Salome and continues to Aguila.
This deposit was discovered in 1920 by A. Johnson, the present owner, and has been worked intermittently by several different concerns. The total production of the mine amounts to approximately 1,200 tons of ore which contained from $6 to $16 worth of gold per ton. From January, 1925, to May, 1933, the mine produced 722 tons of ore that averaged 1.69 per cent of copper, 0.503 ounces of gold, and 0.37 ounces of silver. per ton. The Alaskan Mines, Inc., treated approximately 800194 tons in a small flotation plant, but the results were unsatisfactory. Water for all operations was hauled from distant places.
Here, a gravel-mantled pediment is trenched by arroyos which, in a few places, expose steeply dipping metamorphosed, impure shales of probable Mesozoic age, intruded by dikes of altered, basic porphyry.
When visited in February, 1934, workings on the Alaskan property included a 187-foot inclined shaft that connects on the west with a few hundred feet of shallow openings. The shaft inclines about 25° southward and passes beneath the ore deposit, which occurs within a gently southward-dipping brecciated zone that, due to flattening southward from the collar of the shaft, is only a few feet below the surface. In places, the hanging wall has been eroded away, and the breccia covered by surface gravels. The ore consists of brecciated, silicified shale with small fragments of coarsely crystalline, shiny gray quartz, cemented with limonite, chrysocolla, calcite, and minor amounts of fluorite. Yellow lead oxide stain is sparingly present, and a little manganese dioxide occurs in places. According to Mr. Johnson, the gold, which is rather finely divided, occurs mainly where the chrysocolla and reddish limonite are relatively abundant.
The breccia appears to represent a thrust fault zone into which the ore-bearing solutions entered from below along transverse fractures. On the south, the ore body is cut off by a steeply northward-dipping fault, but the structural conditions that might determine possible continuation of the ore westward have not been determined.
Carmelita Mines Detail:
|Access to the Mine||You can drive to entrance of the upper shaft and to within 100 feet of the lower shaft.|
|Tailings Present||10,000-49,999 tons, Mostly waste rock. There were a few high grade ore piles seen around the upper mine shaft.|
|Depth / Length||250′ deep at least 1500′ in drift workings|
|Minerals in the Mine||Gold, Silver|
|Foot Traffic in the Mine||None|
Carmelita Mines Detail:
|Access to the Mine||You can drive directly to the mine entrances with a UTV. The area is too narrow for a full size vehicle.|
|Tailings Present||1001-9999 tons, Mostly Waste Rock. It appears the good ore was loaded out and possibly processed at the Carmelita mill.|
|Mine Cut||Shafts and Adits|
|Depth / Length||over 3000′ combined workings|
|Minerals in the Mine||Gold|
|Foot Traffic in the Mine||None|
|Number of Mines||Multiple Portals|
|Nearest city with amenities||Phoenix, Arizona 80 miles away.|
|Access to the Claim||The claim is located about 7 miles off a high clearance 4WD road. The Road is narrow at times and a full size vehicle may experience scratching from cactus and brush.|
|Parking and Staging on the claim||Ample parking and staging near the old mine camp. Can park 5-6 vehicles at the lower mine camp. Near the upper shaft you could park and additional 2-3 vehicles.|
|Structures on claim||Foundations and mill remains.|
|Relics on the claim||Lots of old cans and glass found around. Some old separating bins?|
2000-2599 feet of workings estimated. This assessment based on what surveyors observed while on site.
Accessibility and Location
High Clearance 4WD
Free milling gold, gold nuggets or gems
Disclaimer: This MRDS information is provided for reference only and does not represent the actual mine or the current state or mineral content or value. It should not be perceived as accurate or definitive. MRDS information should not be relied on as decision data, the MRDS system has not been updated in over 20 years. The US Bureau of Mines, who was responsible for mining site assessment was disbanded in 1994. USGS and MRDS information has not been updated in over 66 years.
|Main Entrance (1)||Middle Proterozoic granitic rocks|
USGS Database – 10186344
|Materials||Type of material|
|Host or associated||Associated|
|Rock type||Plutonic Rock > Granitoid > Granite|
|Host or associated||Host|
|Rock type||Metamorphic Rock > Gneiss|
|(1)||Middle Proterozoic granitic rocks|
The Ore Deposit, Which Occurs Within A Gently Southward Dipping Brecciated Zone That Due To Flattening Southward From The Collar Of Shaft, Is Only A Few Feet Below The Surface
MINERALIZATION LOCALLY ASSOCIATED WITH MICRODIORITE DIKES 20 TO 25 M.Y. IN AGE
|Description||Cp_Grade: ^669 % Cu|
|Description||Cp_Grade: ^0.503 Oz. Au|
|Type of workings||Underground|
USGS Database – 10027658
The Ellsworth district (part of which is contained in the Harquahala metallic mineral district), about 4 mi southwest of the study area, is a lode gold area that was discovered in 1888. The Bonanza, Golden Eagle, Socorro, San Marcos, Hercules, and Hidden Treasure mines in the district yielded more than $2.5 million in gold between 1891 and 1929. Copper, silver, and some lead were also recovered. The gold, silver, copper, and lead are localized in steeply dipping faults cutting granite, hornfels, limestone, quartzite, and conglomerate (Wilson and others, 1934). 
The Bonanza and Golden Eagle veins were discovered in 1888 and sold to Hubbard and Bowers who organized the Bonanza Mining Company. It is reported that a clean-up worth $36,000 was made from a week’s run of a small amalgamation mill. A 20-stamp amalgamation mill, erected in 1891, made an estimated production of $1,600,000 in bullion within three years.
In 1893, The Harqua Hala Gold Mining Company, Ltd., a British syndicate, purchased the property for $1,250,000, remodeled the mill, and sank a new shaft. During 1895, a 150-ton cyanide plant was built to treat the accumulated tailings which ran from $3 to $5 per ton. Both the ore body and the tailings dump were exhausted by the end of 1897, and the mine was sold back to Mr. Hubbard in 1899. The total production by the British company amounted to $750,000 in bullion, of which about $125,000 was profit.
After a few months’ operation, the mines remained idle until 1906 when the Harqua Hala Mining Company was organized. By the end of 1908, this company produced about $53,000 in gold bullion.
From 1913 to 1916, the Yuma Warrior Mining Company produced $30,000 from the mines and $19,000 from tailings.
A small production, chiefly by lessees, was made from 1922 to 1933, as shown in part on page 129. The total production from the Bonanza and Golden Eagle mines amounts to about $2,500,000. Early in 1934, the Bonanza mine was under lease to the Harquahala Gold Mines Company, but no underground work was in progress. W. L. Hart and associates treated about 1,000 tons of the old Harquahala mill tailings by leaching and cyanidation, but suspended operations in April, 1934. Lessees made a small production from the Golden Eagle mine.
The geology of the southwestern part of the Harquahala Mountains and much of the Ellsworth district is similar to that in the study area, but the rocks are more extensively fractured and altered than in the study area. Also, the largest mines in the district, the Bonanza and Socorro, are localized along relatively flat structures, not the commonly noted northwest-trending, high-angle dikes and veins of the study area.
This portion of the range consists of small, sharply eroded mountains flanked by desert plains. Bancroft states that the following succession of rocks is present: Coarse-grained basal granite, exposed north of the Golden Eagle mine; quartzitic grits; limestone and shale; thin conglomerate; and shale and limestone with some dolomite and conglomerate. These rocks are more or less metamorphosed and complexly faulted. Darton has shown that the limestones, in part at least, are of Carboniferous age.
|District Aliases||Little Harquahala, Granite Wash|
|Noted Commodities||Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead|
or call us at (385) 218-2138
Historic Carmelita Mines – Phoenix, Arizona
Historic Carmelita Mines – Phoenix, Arizona - 33°45'10.63"N 113°21'28.77"W